Finding Respite Providers or Programs

question blueHow do I choose a respite provider or adult day care program?

For guidance in selecting a respite provider or program, read the ABCs of Respite before you get started. Use respite frequently and as early in your caregiving experience as possible.

question blueWhere can I find respite providers or programs for a child, adult or older person with a specific condition in my state?

To search for respite in your state, click here. 

question blueWhere else can I find respite providers or answers to other questions about respite in my state (e.g., how to start up a respite program; licensing or regulatory issues; provider training opportunities)?

Nebraska Lifespan Respite Program:

Hanna Quiring
Children & Family Services
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Nebraska Lifespan Respite Network -  Call  1-866-RESPITE or visit the website

For more information on State Lifespan Respite Programs, click here.

Nebraska State Respite Coalition:

Jinx Hackler
Cochair, Hastings Respite Care
PO Box 1217
Hastings, NE 68901
Phone: (402) 463-8124
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Suzy Campbell, Co-chair
(402) 261-6488 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For more information on State Respite Coalitions, click here.

Respite Funding and Eligibility

question blueHow can I pay for respite services?

1) Family Caregiver Support Program: 

Respite is one of the supports offered through the State's Family Caregiver Support Program. Individuals eligible for respite care under this program are:

  • Family caregivers providing care for individuals age 60 or older;

  • Family caregivers providing care for individuals with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders, regardless of age; or

  • Grandparents and other relative caregivers (not parents) 55 years of age and older providing care to children under age 18; or

  • Grandparents, parents, and other relative caregivers 55 years of age and older providing care to adults ages 18-59, with disabilities, to whom they are related by blood, marriage, or adoption.

  • Tribal Organizations can set a lower age than 60 for members to be considered as elders eligible for services.

To find the Family Caregiver Support Program closest to you, visit the Eldercare Locator.

2) Medicaid Waivers that pay for Respite:

Medicaid waivers provide the largest federal source of funding assistance for respite. Each State develops their own waiver eligibility criteria and conditions for specific populations. Waivers are subject to federal approval. To see if your state has a Medicaid waiver that you or your family member may qualify for, click here.

Keep in mind that many states maintain waiting lists for Medicaid Waiver services. It is not an automatic entitlement, as is the regular Medicaid State Plan program, although some states may be converting their Medicaid waivers to state plan benefits.

3) Other Possible Public Funding Sources and Eligibility Information:

Nebraska Public Funding Chart 
or NE DHHS Funding Chart 

Nebraska Respite Funding Matrix 

If you do not qualify for funding under the Family Caregiver Support Program or any of the Medicaid Waivers described above, check these tables for other possible state funding sources.

Many states fund respite programs with state or federal funds, either alone or in partnership with private organizations. Such programs are generally designed to serve one or more specific populations, such as the aging; infants and toddlers; adults or children with physical or developmental disabilities; children with special health care needs; children or adults with mental heath conditions; kinship care providers; children in state custody or foster parents. Funding for these programs is generally limited and may depend on annual appropriations. Programs may be de-funded or eliminated altogether in times of fiscal crisis. The information obtained here was gathered from the internet, from phone interviews or email communication. Information has been verified to the extent possible, but because of frequent legislative and programmatic changes, you should check the state website or call the state agency to confirm that the information is up to date. If you find the information to be incorrect or incomplete, please alert This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

4) If the person you are caring for is a Veteran

Call the VA Caregiver Support Line at 1-855-260-3274 or click here to visit  the VA Caregiver Support website.

Additional Resources

question blueOther than respite, what other supports and services are available?

Nebraska Lifespan Respite Network the place to contact to discuss your respite needs. Call 1-866-RESPITE or visit the website

Nebraska Resource and Referral System provides a database that contains information about community agencies and organizations that provide services to Nebraskans. Click here.  

Services by State, hosted by the Family Caregiver Alliance, is a comprehensive state-by-state searchable data base that provides a list of government and private services and supports for family caregivers and care recipients. Click here.

State Self-Direction Programs: If a person with a disability or chronic condition is eligible for Medicaid, they may qualify for financial assistance that can be used to purchase necessary home and community-based services and supports, including payment to the family caregiver or to pay for respite. Such programs are sometimes known as cash & counseling, consumer or self-directed programs, or other names selected by the state. To find state Self-Direction Programs on the Applied Self-Direction (asd) website, click here

Family to Family Health Information Center (F2F) and Family Voices: For assistance in finding services and supports for children with special health care needs from other parents and professionals, find your state's F2F center or Family Voices state chapter. Click here

Easterseals: Many local affiliates of Easterseals provide respite, adult day services, and other supports for individuals of all ages and disabilities. To connect to an Easterseals affiliate in your area, click here.

Eldercare Locator: A public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging connecting you to services for older adults and their families. You can reach them at 1-800-677-1116 or click here. The official benefits website of the U.S. government that informs citizens of benefits they may be eligible for and provides information on how to apply for assistance.  Click here.

Aging and Disability Resource Centers: If you are looking for information or assistance with long term services and supports for yourself or for a friend or family member, you can locate the Aging and Disability Resource Center (sometimes also known as the No Wrong Door System) nearest you by through the Eldercare Locator.

Population in Search of Respite







State Agency

Health and Human Services Agency, Department of Aging

Department of Developmental Services 

Health and Human Services Agency, Department of Health Care Services

Health and Human Services Agency, Department of Developmental Services

Health and Human Services Agency, Department of Mental Health

Health and Human Services Agency, Department of Social Services, Children and Family Services Division

What is the name of the program?

Respite Purchase of Service (RPOS)

California Part C Early Intervention Program: Early Start

None found

Respite (In-Home) Services


Kinship Support Services Program (KSSP)

Who is eligible for respite?

·         Frail elderly adults

·         Adults age 18+ with disabilities

·         At risk of institutional placement

·         Not eligible for assistance of Regional Centers serving persons with developmental disabilities

·         Not receiving other respite services

·         Broad; serves at risk children


·         Individuals with a developmental disability

·         Adults with a degenerative brain disease or impairment which occurred after age 18

·         Frail adults age 60+

·         Relatives caring for a children  placed with them by the juvenile court

How are respite services accessed?

State funding has been eliminated, but statutory authority still exists. An Area Agency on Aging may continue operation if funding is available.

21 community-based regional centers

Family member pays for services and files a voucher for reimbursement. 21 Regional Centers help families access services

11 Caregiver Resource Centers:

11 KSSP Sites for counties providing this program

What is the cost of respite services?


Family Cost Participation (FCP) Program; families with income at or above 400% of FPL pay 10%  - 100% of respite costs, depending on their income and the number of persons living in the home. Maximum annual FCP is $6,400.

There is a Family Cost Participation Program for children up to age 17 who are not eligible for Medi-Cal.

What limitations are there on the use of respite?

RPOS contractor determines the maximum amount spent per family.

Respite is a required early intervention service when it allows a parent to participate in another required early service, such as sign language class. Respite to allow a parent a break in caregiving  is not a required service.

Where to go to receive information on how to apply?


Early Start
Children and Family Services Branch Tel: (916) 654-2773
(800) 515-2229
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Parent Handbook: Available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese at:

Tel: 1-800-515-BABY  OR email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. OR Contact a regional center

Regional Centers:  

Caregiver Resource Centers:

KSSP Sites: